Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Soccer From a Goalies Perspective

     Soccer is my all time favorite sport.  I love playing soccer while being with my friends.  But the way the field players view soccer is different from how I view soccer as a goalie.  I love being goalie but it's also fun to play on the field because it's a different feeling.
     I love being goalie.  There are many different things you need to know.  You need to know where all the field players are supposed to be, where the ball line is (a imaginary line between the ball and the middle of the goal), and more.  I have practice every Wednesday and during that practice I only work on the field in in goal.  I also have practices on Saturday, during those practices I work in goal and I also have a mini training session with my coaches son, Colan.  I love both practices because I get to be with my friends.  On Wednesday practices I always think about where the players have to be on the field.  It is almost weird playing on the field when I am a goalie.  Every once in a while I play on the field in some games.  This only happens if we are winning by a lot or the other goalie is there.
    Whenever I play on the field I always think about what I cash do to help it the other goalie.  I know what to do because when I'm in goal I tell people what to do, so I know what the other goalie wants me to do.  The other goalie, Gwen, is really nice but she is a great goalie and yells really loud to tell people what to do. In the past years that I have been goalie I was just starting to like it.  Last year was the year that I finally realized that I loved it.  This year I have been given a new challenge for being in goal.  While in goal my coach has told me to start to yell.  Whenever I am in goal I am always thinking about what I could say to help the players.  The thing is that I never actually say it.  This year my goalie trainer, coach, and my coaches son are all trying to get me to yell.  Yelling seems like an easy thing.  For me it isn't.  I don't know why though because I can yell at home, but whenever I am in a game I can't yell.
     There is a lot of pressure on a goalie.  In any sport everyone will make mistakes.  No one is perfect.  But there is a big difference between when a player on the field makes a mistake and when a goalie makes a mistake.  If a field player makes a mistake that just means that the other team gets a free kick or a throw in but when a goalie makes a mistake it's a lot different.  If a goalie makes a mistake the whole game is on that mistake.  When a goalie makes a mistake the other team is gonna score.  I have made a couple mistakes while being a goalie but I know that there are a lot more mistakes on the way.  There are many videos on you tube about goalies making mistakes but when a field player makes a mistake that's nothing.  I have made several silly mistakes that I look back at and laugh at them.  I don't beat myself up because I get scored on, I just think about what I could have done better and what I did wrong.
     Being in goal is a lot of fun.  There are many challenges being a goalie and there is a lot of pressure.  I want to always be a goalie.  I hope that I can always be a goalie and be apart of a team.     

No comments:

Post a Comment